With the 20th iteration of the FIFA World Cup kicking off later today, football is the main thing on many fans’ minds. However, where there is excitement and a corresponding desire for information and video content, there are also opportunities for hackers, malware and viruses.
To this end, McAfee has created its ‘Red Card Club’. Writing on McAfee’s Blog Central, Robert Siciliano explains that the McAfee ‘Red Card Club’ is a list of eleven Brazil-bound players whose web pages are considered to be risky for fans to search for online.
Predictably, current FIFA World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo tops the list of riskiest players to search for online, followed by Argentina’s Lionel Messi, Spain’s Iker Cassillas, Brazil’s Neymar and Algeria’s Karim Ziani.
The sites most likely to be risky are those offering videos showing the athlete’s skills, and screensaver downloads. These rigged sites are just waiting to trick you into giving up personal information so that the thieves can steal your identity or get ahold of credit card information and max out your cards.
The study uses McAfee® SiteAdvisor® site ratings, which indicate which sites are risky when attached to football players’ names on the web and calculates an overall risk percentage.
Here are some tips for fans searching the internet for their favourite players:
* Be suspicious — If a search turns up a link to free content or too-good-to-be-true offers, it usually is.
* Be extra cautious when searching on hot topics — Cybercriminals set up fake and malicious sites that dominate these time-sensitive search results.
* Use web protection — Make sure to use a safe search tool that will notify you of risky sites or links before you visit them. McAfee SiteAdvisor software can be downloaded for free here.
* Check the web address — Look for misspellings or other clues that the link might be directed to a phony website.
* Protect yourself—Use comprehensive security on all your PCs, Macs, smartphone and tablets, like McAfee Live Safe™ service, that comes with McAfee SiteAdvisor, a complimentary tool that protects your from going to risky websites and prevents malicious downloads.